About

History

After World War II, skiing as a group operation began with the assembly of neighborhood ski clubs. These clubs constructed rope tows and warming huts. Buckhorn Ski Club is the last remaining club-owned self operated ski facility in California. In 1948, the Santa Monica Ski Club and the G. Pepperdine Ski Club obtained permits to build two rope tows and rope tow sheds. A few years later, the same group built the lodge and the out house. In 1958, the club incorporated as the Whittier Ski Club and combined with the Santa Monica Ski Club. In 1984, the club changed its name to Buckhorn Ski Club and later to Buckhorn Ski and Snowboard Club. In February 2005, a huge snow storm dropped 8 ft (2.4 m) of snow. This resulted in the lodge's roof collapsing. The club members rallied to shovel the snow off the roof and protect the lodge. Over the summer the club members re-built the roof to current construction standards.

In 2012 Buckhorn was forced to retire the rope tows for skiing and now members hit the slopes back country style or just enjoy the wonderful trails and solitude year round.

Who we are

Buckhorn Ski Lodge is overseen by an elected board of directors.

Any member in good standing can be nominated for any board position. Elections are held annually.

Meet the Board

Dan Scott

President

Vacant

Vice President

Bob Moore

Treasurer

Paul Bracken

Member at Large

Keith McIver

Member at Large

Vacant

Member at Large